Thursday, June 13, 2013

7 Quick Takes — Episode I: A New Beginning


--- 1 ---

I have restarted this blog!  I originally started it as a companion blog to Treasures of the Church, and the goal was for it to be a more personal blog.  I never ended up doing much with the blog.  I attempted restarting it with some book reviews a few months ago, but I petered out on that as well.  So, I am trying this again as a mix of a personal blog and a "whatever I want to write" blog.  Be warned, there may be book reviews, as I've returned to my old haunts of reading addiction.

--- 2 ---

This blog has been truly enlightened.  I realized a dark blog featuring red and black may be fitting for Hot Topic or the flags of angry men, but not for a blog whose name includes the word luminous.  So, I did a background and colour makeover, and I think it's much better (though I may still tweak the colors a bit).

--- 3 ---

I'm beginning a new job on Monday, so I pray that it goes well and that I do not despise it.

--- 4 ---

I'm praying that my fiance's job possibilities where I live pan out: at the moment, we live twenty hours apart, and we'd really like to fix that.

--- 5 ---

I've relapsed into reading addiction, as I mentioned in section 1, and one of the books I've started reading is a fairly depressing one about rabbits.  You may have heard of it...

--- 6 ---

Another book I read recently was even more depressing (since there were many named character deaths), yet it was still good.  The thing that I thought was odd was its lack of reserves at the library.  The best-selling author's other two books had well over a hundred reserves each (and the county I live in is not too large), yet this one?  0.  I walked into the library and picked it right up.  Why is that?  It could be that it is not as good as his other works (which I have yet to read)...or (if conspiracy theorists are right) it could be because it is written from a female point of view.  I take these sorts of vast conspiracy theories (people don't read literature with a female point of view because everyone is a misogynist!) with a lick of salt (what good would a grain do me?), but I just find it strange that this book seems, at least at my local library, so abandoned when the author is so famous.

--- 7 ---

I am settling in nicely into the Byzantine parish I am attending: the five children of one family have already taken a liking to me, calling me "St. Patrick" or "Patrick Man" due to the tints of red in my hair and the fact that I wore Pentecost green to my first Liturgy there this summer.

I have no idea if I'll write more this upcoming week or not, but either way, I should hopefully be keeping up with these Quick Takes. Until next time, thank you for reading, and God Bless. And, please pray for me, a sinner.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment